Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Fresh Start

Michelle In Turn, what does it mean?

Well, anyone who has ever attempted to start a career in the world of publishing can tell you that it isn't a professional circle that one can just glide into.  In many ways, you really have to put in the leg work to establish yourself as a solid candidate, secure an internship or entry-level position, and start building your name.  Before you can jump into your dream job (or figure out exactly what that is), you need to start at the bottom and work your way up.  In essence, you have to wait your turn.  There were other interns before you, other entry level assistants before you etc. So, as they move up, they make room down below for you.

Putting in the time up front to learn the ropes is vital.  But networking and getting yourself out there is even more essential for opening doors and accessing new opportunities.  And if you're wise, you'll use the time wisely- soaking up all of the experience and information you can.  This will help you further establish yourself as a great potential employee, and will be your best chance of moving your career forward.

I have been an intern at a literary agency here in New York City for about a month now, and already know that it is the best decision I have made in a long time.  My new task of learning to navigate the world of social media is what brings me to this blog.  I hope some of my posts will be helpful to other people starting out in publishing, or with other ambitions such as becoming a successful writer or taking the leap of faith required to switch careers.

I'm Michelle In Turn, and this is my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, bravo and congratulations! I love this new turn in your life. ㄥ◯Vモ the power of what you wrote: "I have been an intern at a literary agency here in New York City for about a month now, and already know that it is the best decision I have made in a long time."

    Thanks for letting us come along on your exciting adventure. One day it will be: Michelle, you're next.

    xoxo,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete