Friday, October 12, 2012

Busiest Unemployed Person Ever!

Lately I've been fascinated by how much work I've had to do, considering I didn't really have a JOB!

One thing that anyone attempting to break into book publishing will learn rather quickly is that there's plenty of work out there for people willing to put all of their time and energy into working for free. Internships, manuscript reading and evaluation, blogging, copy writing, researching and networking are just some of the ways I've been 'passing the time' as I sought out more lucrative professional opportunities. (AKA anything that offers payment!)

While any rational-minded business professional would say I was stark-raving mad to offer anything up for free, I'd have to argue that they simply don't understand how the book publishing ecosystem works. Getting a foot in the door is a delicate balancing act, and it requires that you give your time and energy in exchange for information and career support, rather than a typical salary. It may appear on the surface that the book pub industry is antiquated and backward, but the wealth of experience and guidance that you gain from putting in the man hours far outweighs the tempting alternative of taking any job you can get for a meager paycheck.

In October of 2011 I made the leap, and left teaching behind to try my hand in book publishing. In the past 12 months I've basically given myself a survey course in the industry, and met some incredible mentors, colleagues and potential future employers. The experiences I've had, and the wisdom I've gleaned, have set me up to be a successful and valuable member of the close-knit network of book publishing professionals here in New York City.

When talking with a fellow book-pub friend, I mentioned how remarkably busy I've been, and she said, "If you're that busy, then you're doing something right." And she hit the nail on the head. Just yesterday I was offered an Associate Editor position at an E-learning company, as well as an opportunity to be groomed for a future book-pub career at the same time. No details on that second bit for now, but I'll be sure to litter future posts with hints and details as they arise.

I hope you'll take a moment to virtually celebrate with me, and that my success story will continue to motivate and inspire those of you who are on a similar path.

Best,
~Michelle In Turn

No comments:

Post a Comment